What Should I Know About Salt Lake Regional Medical Center?
For more than a century, Salt Lake Regional Medical Center has provided high quality healthcare for residents of the Salt Lake Valley. Conveniently located near the heart of the city, this historic acute care hospital remains one of the most trusted medical centers in all of Utah. Today you will find advanced medical technology and a professional medical staff focused on providing patients with leading-edge care and comfort.
Salt Lake Regional Medical Center is a physician-owned hospital that brings world-class medical expertise and compassion to the care of every patient.
IN PARTNERSHIP WITH PHYSICIAN OWNERS.
Learn more about:
Our Mission & Values
We are highly motivated and compassionate people, using advanced systems and technology to become the healthcare provider of choice and to improve the quality of life for the individuals and communities we serve.
The employees, physicians and volunteers of Salt Lake Regional Medical Center share these guiding and enduring values:
- We care about people, treating our patients and each other with dignity, compassion, and respect.
- We act with honesty and integrity. We are accountable, one to another and as an organization, to build and maintain trust.
- We encourage innovative thinking and leadership excellence, which promotes the advancement of quality and healthcare delivery.
- We persevere and strive constantly to become better.
Salt Lake Regional Medical Center History
- 1875 - Holy Cross Hospital, presently Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, was founded on October 25, 1875
- 1882 - A new hospital was built on the present site 1050 East South Temple (10 acres)
- 1901 - Holy Cross Nursing School established. Closed in 1973
- 1904 - East & West wings added; chapel added
- 1949 - Moreau Building is built
- 1976 - The chapel was named to the state historic registry
- 1990 - Opening ceremony of the new Rose Garden at Holy Cross Hospital - 110 rose varieties
- 1994 - Hospital renamed Salt Lake Regional Medical Center
Firsts at SLRMC/ Firsts in Utah
- 1883 – First prepaid insurance plan for miners and other beneficiaries for $1.00 a month
- 1901 – HCH School of Nursing
- 1970 – HCH develops a network of family health, occupational medicine along the Wasatch front
- 1978 – Coronary bypass performed at HCH
- 1980 – Utah’s first comprehensive HIV/AIDS program with Dr. Ries & Dr. Snyder
- 1984 – HCH Breast Care Center – dedicated to the diagnosis and care of breast disease
- 2005 – First in Utah - da Vinci system - Started with prostatectomy surgery, today perform procedures for: Bariatrics, General Surgery, Hernia Repair, Hysterectomy, Myomectomy, Thyroidectomy
- 2005 – 2022 – Exclusive Sports Medicine program with Westminster College
- 2007 – 2020 – Exclusive Healthcare partnership with REAL major soccer league
- 2008 – 2022 – MBSAQIP Bariatric Center of Excellence
- 2011 – 2022 – First in Utah MAKO technology
- 2012 – 2022 – STEMI-receiving facility
- 2016 – 2022 – SRC Center of Excellence in Bariatrics
- 2017 – 2022 – First and only in Utah SRC Robotic Center of Excellence
- 2017 – 2020 – Exclusive Healthcare partner of REAL Monarchs and Utah Royal soccer teams
- 2019 – 2022 – Blue Distinction Center + Bariatrics
- 2020 – 2022 – Blue Distinction Center + Hip & Knee Replacement
- 2021– 2022 – DNV certified Hip & Knee Replacement Center of Excellence
Salt Lake Regional Medical Center Chapel
- June 13, 1901– Ground broken for a new Chapel at Holy Cross Hospital site
- Designed by Carl Martell Neuhausen, a prominent Utah architect responsible for many of the city’s historic buildings
- April 14, 1904 – The new chapel dedication and the altar consecrated by Rt. Reverend Lawrence Scanlan, Bishop of Salt Lake.
- The High Altar was carved in white Carara marble from Italy and installed in 1904.
- 1908 - the first organ was purchased for the chapel. Replaced in 1925 by the Hammond electric organ that stands at the rear of the chapel today.
- 1909 - the chapel interiors were painted by Achille Peretti, a New Orleans artist who painted the gold-leaf designs on the arched ceilings, the Romanesque frescos on the choir loft wall and the Apse ceiling.
- 1915 – A beautiful carved wooden grandfather clock, a gift from the medical staff. Today stands in the rear of chapel
- 1928 – Two additional white marble altars were added on both sides of the chapel one dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, the other dedicated to St. Joseph
- Painted glass windows modeled on those of churches in France and Italy. Windows represent: the Annunciation, the Crucifixion, the Assumption (over the altar). Side windows: Mary Queen of Heaven, the Sacred Heart, St. Peter, St. John, St. Patrick, St. Francis of Assisi, St. Michael, St. Joseph and the child Jesus
- Updated decoration & repairs in 1938,1953,1961 and 1965
- 1970’s – The ornate glass doors with Chi-Rho designed by Bob Tschaggen. These doors contain early Christian symbols of Christ.
- The ceramic fish doorknobs designed by Mrs. Author Beeley represent followers of Christ
- 1976 – The chapel was named to the state historic registry
- 1994 – Holy Cross Hospital sold to new owners. The chapel was decommissioned and became a non-denominational interfaith sanctuary.
- Today, the chapel has historic importance as the first Catholic Chapel in SLC. The Chapel is the only remaining historic structure from the original Holy Cross Hospital.
- The Chapel is a place for peace and inner thought for patients, families, and the community.
Salt Lake Regional Medical Center - Moreau Building
- Founded in LeMans, France by Father Basil Anthony Moreau in 1841, the Congregation of Holy Cross was originally one of French priests and brothers. In 1843 four sisters of the Holy Cross joined.
- 1949 – Moreau Building built
- The Moreau building is significant for what it tells us about the development of South Temple after World War II, as commercial buildings started being built to the East of downtown, Moreau is the last building designed by prominent Utah architect, Walter Ware.
Holy Cross School of Nursing
- Holy Cross Nursing School established in 1901. Closed in 1973.
- HCH School of Nursing planned by Sisters of the Holy Cross, to educate young women in the art & science of caring for the sick, according to the principles of Christianity
- In June 1875, in answer to the appeal of the Rev. Lawrence Scalan, two sisters of the Holy Cross- Mother M Augusta and Sister M Raymond, came to SLC. In August, they were joined by sisters M Pauline and Anna Josepha. In September they opened St. Mary’s Academy at 152 South first West Street.
- In October of the same year, sisters M Holy Cross, Bartholomew and Bernard opened Holy Cross Hospital at 50 South Fifth East Street
- The current hospital was established on the present site in 1882.
Salt Lake Regional Medical Center - Rose Garden
- In 1937, 3 ½ acres of hospital ground was leased to SLC municipal rose garden. For 26 years, Utahns enjoyed the rose garden that graced the South Temple Street. The Utah Rose Society and the Salt Lake Exchange Club donated roses and helped city workers provide care for the property
- For many, the Rose Garden was synonymous with “Holy Cross”.
- Each year there was a formal ceremony when the rent for the garden space came due, the price the city paid to the Sisters was equal to one bouquet of roses annually.
- The garden was taken out in 1973 when the hospital expanded. All of the trellises and roses were moved to other gardens throughout the city
- In 1989, volunteers of Holy Cross Hospital Foundation Awareness Committee proposed to the landscape Architect the need for a garden setting at the hospital that would:
- Provide a vehicle of publicly recognize donors who contributed to the Foundations efforts enabling them to provide charity care
- Create a visual symbol of Holy Cross Hospitals commitment to care for the poor and underserved
- Provide an appropriate location where the names of the 200 Sisters of the Holy Cross could be memorialized who had served at the hospital since its establishment. (Fountain)
- The sisters met with local philanthropist, Mr. O.C. Tanner, with architectural plans for a new Rose Garden, with intent to ask him to fund a project that would return the roses once again to Holy Cross Hospital.
- June 1990- opening ceremony of the new Rose Garden at Holy Cross Hospital
- 110 rose bushes by name and original placement exist today at Salt Lake Regional Medical Center.
- As a vehicle to raise funds, the $75,000 garden and the $50,000 perpetual maintenance endowment fund was brought into fruition. A Rose Garden with a donor recognition wall with the names of contributing donations (totaling 1.8 million dollars).