Genius™ 3D Mammography™ With MammoPad® & SmartCurve™
In a Class of Its Own: Comfort, Precision & Effectiveness
Salt Lake Regional Medical Center is proud to offer Genius 3D Mammography – only available on the Hologic® 3D Mammography™ system.
- This innovative technology detects 20-65 percent more breast cancers than 2D mammography alone.
- Genius exams have reduced unnecessary callbacks by up to 40 percent.
- The Genius exam is the only mammogram approved by the FDA as superior for women with dense breasts.
- Ninety-three percent of women surveyed reported that the SmartCurve system made their mammogram more comfortable. Ninety-seven percent said they would recommend a facility that uses a SmartCurve system.
- More than 200 clinical studies have confirmed the Genius exam’s ability to allow doctors to screen for breast cancer with greater accuracy.
When it comes to routine mammogram screenings, it’s no wonder so many women are choosing Genius 3D Mammography.
Why Get Screened?
- One in eight women will develop breast cancer in her lifetime.
- Eight out of nine women diagnosed with breast cancer do not have a family history.
- The five-year survival rate of breast cancer is nearly 100% with early detection!
Talk to your doctor for specific screening recommendations.
Comprehensive Breast Care Treatments and Exams in Salt Lake City
Centrally located in a convenient and comfortable environment, the Breast Care Center provides a full range of preventive, diagnostic and treatment services, including:
- Initial screening exams
- Digital mammography
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Breast biopsies
- Stereotactic procedures
- Brachytherapy treatments
- Plastic reconstruction and cosmetic surgery
- Breast-conserving surgery
- Genetic testing
- Counseling and support services
- Educational programs
At the Breast Care Center at Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, our digital mammography systems offer the best opportunity for early diagnosis of breast cancer. This sophisticated imaging technology enables doctors to view high quality breast images on a computer screen, and magnify and enhance any areas of concern for more accurate readings.
If your mammogram detects an abnormality, we can conduct a biopsy, which is where a small tissue sample is taken to determine if cancer is present. Though the majority of biopsies find no cancer, this minimally invasive procedure is the best way to be sure. Using advanced targeting and guidance technology, this procedure can be performed with pinpoint accuracy. It requires only a small incision and local anesthesia. Learn more about Stereotactic Breast Biopsy.
Brachytherapy: A More Direct Way to Treat Breast Cancer
Brachytherapy, also known as partial breast irradiation, involves implanting a radioactive “seed” directly into the tumor. Brachytherapy enables the physician to apply a higher dose of radiation to the tumor while sparing healthy tissue and organs, including the lungs and heart, from receiving radiation. The implants are removed after each treatment so that no radiation remains in the breast.
Some studies have shown brachytherapy to be as effective as mastectomy. Besides sparing the breast from removal, brachytherapy is also more convenient than other approaches. Each day for five days, patients receive two treatments that last about 15 minutes each. And, brachytherapy can be performed as an outpatient procedure, without hospitalization.
In association with Salt Lake Regional Medical Center, GammaWest Brachytherapy is the first clinic in the Intermountain West, and one of the first in the nation, to specialize in brachytherapy and its physicians perform hundreds of these procedures each year.